Fluid retention, an excessive accumulation of fluid in our body, is a very common disorder, especially among women. This retention often makes it difficult for us to control our weight and causes an uncomfortable and constant feeling of bloating.
There are certain habits and foods that can help us improve some of the symptoms of fluid retention such as: cellulite, poor circulation or cholesterol. These habits cause an increase in diuresis, that is, the elimination of fluids. Below, you will find a list of diuretic foods, medicinal plants and tips that will help you reduce fluid retention and the discomfort it causes.
Diuretic foods are those that, thanks to their properties, help us excrete the liquid that we accumulate in excess. This extra elimination of liquids also allows us to expel toxins through urine, thus achieving purification, a cleansing of our body. This process is achieved because these foods stimulate the kidneys, the organ responsible for producing urine.
Water: the main diuretic
Water is the most natural and effective diuretic that we can find. Consuming a minimum of 2 liters of water daily is essential to achieve good elimination of fluids and toxins.
To make it easier to know how much water we are drinking, it is useful to calculate it by the glasses we drink. In total, we should drink about 8 glasses of water a day to achieve an adequate intake. You can always add a little lemon juice to the water and thus make it more appetizing and, at the same time, have an extra purification.
Pineapple is one of the most diuretic fruits that exist due to its high percentage of water, its high content of vitamins, especially A, C, K, B6 and B9, and minerals such as potassium, calcium or magnesium. Including this fruit in our diet will help us purify our body and expel that extra fluid.
This fruit is one of the most used to combat fluid retention. Its high water content makes it very effective as a diuretic. In addition, its contribution of vitamins (A, C, B1 and B2) and fiber help this function and function slightly as a laxative.
Lemon is a food used by people with high uric acid, arthritis or rheumatism due to its great diuretic capacity and to eliminate toxins.
In general, citrus fruits such as orange, tangerine or lemon are fruits rich in potassium, magnesium and vitamin C, three micronutrients that are effective in stimulating the kidney to eliminate excess fluids.
Asparagus and artichokes
These two vegetables, thanks to their high potassium content, are an excellent diuretic. In addition, they are low in calories, high in vitamins and minerals and have a high concentration of folates, nutrients that will help protect our heart.
Cucumbers have a large amount of water and potassium and, in turn, silicon and sulfur and the combination of these causes a great diuretic effect, since it causes the kidneys to eliminate a greater amount of uric acid.
Spices: great allies
Spices are very useful for improving fluid retention due to their diuretic power and, at the same time, using them will make our dishes much richer.
Some of the most effective are: parsley, fennel, basil, bay leaf and ginger.
There are plants that have a diuretic capacity and that can be very useful to combat fluid retention. Some of them are:
– Dandelion: this plant is a mild but effective diuretic that has been widely used for years. Its popularity is due to its great purifying power. Among some of its properties are:
Liver and digestive tonic
Stimulates the pancreas
– Horsetail: medicinal plant that activates the work of the kidneys. It is a powerful diuretic, so it must be used with caution. Some of its properties are:
It is a great remineralizer due to its high content of silicon, potassium and magnesium.
Its high mineral content prevents the demineralization caused by other diuretics.
Useful for treating osteoporosis
Increases collagen production and therefore joint health
– Sage: plant used for thousands of years as a diuretic. Other functions are:
Digestive system stimulant
Helps regulate sugar levels
TIPS TO REDUCE LIQUID RETENTION
– Be careful with salt!: Excessive use of salt increases fluid retention. For this reason we have to reduce its consumption, little by little we will get used to the natural flavors of food.
– Move: movement is essential to avoid fluid retention. If you have a very sedentary job in which you have to spend many hours sitting, it would be advisable for us to get up and walk a little to reactivate circulation every hour.
– Foods high in potassium: introducing foods that are high in this mineral will help increase fluid elimination. Some examples are: banana, zucchini, chard, papaya, etc.
– Exercise: physical activity activates circulation and, consequently, kidney function. Doing a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise every day is essential for health and also for fluid retention, since it causes the mobility of all the fluids in our body. A half-hour walk daily would be very beneficial.
– Do not wear tight clothing: this type of clothing prevents proper blood circulation and this makes it difficult to improve fluid retention.